Insomnia is the inability to sleep, which can lead to you feeling lethargic all day. There are many different types of insomnia, and they range in length from short term (i.e. lasts just one night) to long-lasting cases that affect your everyday life for weeks or months at time.
It’s hard to go about your day when you’re suffering from insomnia. You may find that it impacts your ability to work, go to school or even socialise with friends and family members.
There are numerous reasons why someone might experience insomnia – some causes include:
- Stress – it’s a huge contributor to sleep loss!
- Mental Health – Depression & anxiety
- Alcohol, caffeine & drugs
- Technology – Mobiles, laptops, television, tablets, etc. before bedtime.
- Lighting – Artificial light negatively affects our sleep
- Temperature – Being too hot or too cold invariably disturbs our sleep
- Noise – Prevents you from falling asleep & staying asleep